Helping Families Own a Home

Through donations and volunteering you can
make a difference in a family's life.

Eligibility is Possible

Qualifications Overview

  1. Are You Ready To Provide A Safe, Decent, Affordable Home For Your Family?
  2. Are you unable to obtain a conventional home loan?
  3. Is your current home overcrowded or in disrepair? Does your rent or house payment exceed 30% of your gross income?
  4. Are you willing to help us build your new home?
  5. Are you able to make monthly mortgage and escrow payments?
  6. Do you meet the income limits listed?

Income Guidelines

  • All family members's income is included in the calculation of a family's total gross income.
  • Income from all wages, SSI, SSDI, food stamps, housing assistance, retirement, alimony, VA benefits, child support, etc. are included.
  • The guidelines are annual (to convert monthly income to annual multiply amount by 12).
  • Income guidelines are listed by family size.
1 $10,950 $21,900
2 $12,525 $25,050
3 $14,100 $28,200
4 $15,625 $31,250
5 $16,900 $33,800
6 $18,150 $36,300

*Income levels are set annually by US Department of Housing & Urban Development and are 30-60% of the median income. (Note: Minimum income limits have been adjusted to reflect the income required to afford the mortgage payment for the house size required for the family size.)

*FY 2013 income limits summary--HUD

Demonstrated Need for Housing

There Must Be A Demonstrated Need In Order To Qualify For A Habitat Home

Need is determined by a family's current living conditions.

Some examples of need are outline below (this list is not all-inclusive).

Inadequate sleeping arrangements

  • more than 2 persons share a room
  • different gendered children sharing a room
  • persons having to sleep on the floor

Structural/mechanical problems in building

  • visible holes or large cracks
  • leaks, hazardous/toxic materials
  • electrical problems
  • plumbing problems
  • appliances not working

Unsanitary conditions or health risks

  • bugs rodents sewage
  • problems stairway in disrepair allergy concerns

Temporary or transitional housing

  • family currently living with relatives
  • family in emergency shelter homelessness

Current housing does not meet the physical needs

Unable to obtain a conventional mortgage

Financial Ability

Ability to pay is determined by information provided and collected during the application process.

Information on the paper application, pay stubs, benefit statements, previously filed federal tax returns, and credit reports are examples of the resources used to determine this ability.


  • a steady, reliable source of income and demonstrate financial responsibility
  • the ability to pay a zero-interest monthly house payment of approximately $450 to $550 per month (taxes and insurance included)
  • the ability to pay projected monthly utilities (electric/gas & water/sewer)
  • NOT have filed for bankruptcy within the past 2 years and no outstanding collections, liens or judgments that cannot reasonably be paid by the completion of the home build

Sweat Equity

A partner family must be willing to complete "sweat-equity" hours. "Sweat-equity" is when a partner family takes part in building their own home and other Habitat homes and may include activities such as clearing the lot, painting, helping with construction, working in the Habitat office, or other approved activities. A two-adult household is required to perform a minimum of 150 hours for each adult in the household. A single-adult family is required to complete 150 hours. A small portion of the sweat equity hours can be completed by family and friends. All of the hours must be completed before the partner family can purchase the home.In addition, the partner family must also be willing to attend mandatory home owner training classes.

Regulatory Requirements

All applicants must live in our service area (Towns and Union Counties) and have lived there for a minimum of one year, OR have worked in our service area (Towns and Union Counties) for the most recent two years.

All applicants must provide documentation of residency and eligibility to work in the US.

One of the following documents is accepted as proof of both residency and eligibility:

  • US Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • Valid Driver's License with Photo
  • Passport from Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of the Marshall Islands with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating
  • nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.
  • If one of the above cannot be provided, one document from each category below is required:

Category 1

Driver’s License

Federal, State, or Local Government ID Card

Voter’s Registration Card

School ID card with a photograph

Native American tribal document

U.S. Military identification card/ Military Dependents ID card

U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card

Social Security Card

Category 2

U.S. Birth Certificate

Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545)

US Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)

Resident Citizen ID Card (Form I-179)

Unexpired Employment Authorization by Dept. of Homeland Security

Native American tribal document

Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350)

Employment Authorization document issued by the Dept. of Homeland Security